CLEAN REMOTE SHOPPING
By Edward C D Ingram
Many shops are gearing up to do home deliveries. They take orders online and payments can be made online. Alternatively some people can create their own shopping enterprise to do the same thing for others, especially those that have recovered from the corona virus.
The questions are:
- How to avoid bringing the virus into your home when taking a delivery.
- What to do about wrong pricing and out of stock.
This essay deals only with the first question.
- Have ready clear surfaces on which the shopping will be placed when brought inside the home.
- Have a sink or bucket already filled with water and disinfectant approved for virus elimination.
- You can use disposable plastic gloves (to bring in the goods) which you will later disinfect in said sink after dealing with everything. This saves constantly washing your hands losing skin moisture.
- Arrange that the delivery person will knock on the door or phone on arrival and will deliver in a tray rather than a sealed container, or in plastic bags which hopefully you will send for recycling.
- You could leave some plastic bags outside your door for the delivery guy to collect and re-use.
- Have a way to hold your door open ready for use.
- It may be windy so make sure that the wind will not disrupt your home contents with flying paper etc. during the delivery acceptance process while the door is open.
- Have only one person involved in this process, keeping children away from the activity.
- Use only your own pencil or pen for writing and have a clean sheet of paper ready. Before delivery write down on this sheet of paper each of the above paragraph numbers that you have attended to ending with this paragraph number 9. When you write ‘9’ you are ready for the delivery.
ACTION ON DELIVERY
Reply to the delivery person’s phone call or knock on the door
A. Ask them to keep their distance or just drop off the goods and paperwork and collect any plastic bags left, and then leave.
B. Ask about any money issues and unavailable goods.
- Put on your gloves. These are already clean as are your hands.
- Open door and make it stay open with your prepared device.
- Ideally the delivery consists of tinned foods and foods in plastic bags that are easily washed.
- Pick them up one at a time and bring them one at a time indoors.
- Make sure they do not touch your clothes or the door etc.
- Place each item on the prepared surface or the bucket or sink full of disinfectant.
- When all have been brought indoors and placed accordingly or on the prepared clean surface near the sink, first clean the gloves in the sink or bucket, then go and close the door and remove the device holding it open.
- Next go and clean each and every item you brought in.
- Finally clean the gloves again before you remove them because you will touch the outside of the gloves when removing them. Dispose of them, or place them for re-use.
- Wash your hands if you wish.
- When the goods are dry you can store them.